Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Bee swarm...

Well, unfortunately (I think) we had a swarm today. I am not sure why this is so bad, but apparently as a beekeeper I am supposed to avoid this. We actually enjoyed it, at least this time! As I was headed to the potato field at the back of the property, I was passing by the hives and noticed crazy bee activity. About 10 minutes later, the bees had all gathered in a nearby tree. I let them settle down a bit and cut the branch they were on, introduced them to a new box, and went on my way. It was very exciting for the kids to see this! We also harvested about 4 frames worth of honey today, about 1 gallon, and that was very exciting as well! Our first, small, honey harvest!







1 comment:

Mommyof5 said...

Oh! You guys are brave. Beehives are one thing I do not want to do. Hope the bees like the new hive. Will you be selling honey in the near future?